ALLRKI_077 _ ALLAR KUMARI IMEDEMAAL: Gallery: A portrait painting of President Alar Karis unveiled at Kadriorg  _ ERR NEWS 8.10.2026  / PTK NEWS 09. 10. 2026  

On Thursday, a portrait painting of President Alar Karis was presented at the Office of the President, created by painter Tõnis Saadoja at Karis's request. 
/.../

Each head of state has chosen their own artist; the artists have been able to create their own approach and choose their aesthetics. Thus the gallery reflects, in addition to Estonia's political history, the different styles of Estonian portrait art and artists. 
/.../
       *
Liputha Jamantelli mängufilm „Who The Fuck Is Nele Sõber?“ jõuab Eesti kinodesse 12. detsembril. Enne kinolevi algust saab filmi Eestis näha 25. septembri Kürbla Käbifilmide Festivalil. Autor/allikas: KÜKÄFF 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65rcAHqMew  

#AllarKumariImedemaal 
 #GentlemenFromEstonia #AlarKaris  #TõnisSaadoja #EndelLepp #PeaksimeRääkimaAllarist #TheLastBumbleGentInKyrbla #TerraMaritima #ErioperatsioonWegebau #Karistamatusregister #PTK #SuurPluss by #EndelLeppFashionHouse #HelloVilly #Ämblikutädiööklubi #KyrblaDolls #PiinlikOlukord #KäbidAltaiKraist #SarvikpütiKättemaks #PostitantsukonnGruppMeediakontsern #LendabMesipuuPoole  #HowToExplainADeadHareToKajaLotman  #WhoTheFuckIsNeleSõber #KumariImedemaa #MeMoMu #MEEZ102026  
/.../ 

https://news.err.ee/1610160634/gallery-a-portrait-painting-of-president-alar-karis-unveiled-at-kadriorg 

Gallery: A portrait painting of President Alar Karis unveiled at Kadriorg 

NEWS
ERR 
yesterday at 14.40
Updated: today at 09.27 

On Thursday, a portrait painting of President Alar Karis was presented at the Office of the President, created by painter Tõnis Saadoja at Karis's request.


The portrait gallery of heads of state located in the President's Office in Kadriorg carries forward the continuity of Estonian statehood. The tradition of shaping the gallery began during President Lennart Meri's term in the 1990s, when portraits of earlier Estonian heads of state starting from 1918 began to be gathered in Kadriorg, including heads of state who fulfilled presidential duties in exile during the occupation period. The portraits of earlier heads of state were created by Tiit Pääsuke, Miljard Kilk, Nikolai Guli and Olev Subbi.

Of the presidents of re‑independent Estonia, Lennart Meri's portrait was painted by Jüri Arrak, Arnold Rüütel's portrait by Valli Lember‑Bogatkina, Toomas Hendrik Ilves's portrait by Kaido Ole, and Kersti Kaljulaid's portrait by Alice Kask.

Each head of state has chosen their own artist; the artists have been able to create their own approach and choose their aesthetics. Thus the gallery reflects, in addition to Estonia's political history, the different styles of Estonian portrait art and artists. 



Saadoja: I was vain enough to accept the offer

Saadoja said that he was vain enough to accept the offer to paint the president's portrait, even though he has not painted very many portraits.

"I tried to think not so much about the office of the president, because a portrait is still about a person," the painter said. "Alar Karis has been a very good president and he is a very sympathetic person. If someone calls you and asks for something like this, then you would rather want to say yes. I would rather say no in the case where I don't click with the person."

The painting was preceded by a photo session and then a bit of reflection on which frame to choose. "I was able to decide a lot myself. I asked for some help or input, but I was given astonishingly free hands. I started quietly in the summer, and everything for this specific painting fits into the month of September," the artist noted.

The signature of the portrait painting is on the back. "I don't have a good hand for signing on the front. I don't think I've ever really signed my paintings on the front," Saadoja admitted.

The article has been updated with the artist's comments on 09 October.

--

Follow ERR News on Facebook and X and never miss an update!

Editor: Mari Peegel, Annika Remmel, Argo Ideon

Source: ERR interview by Jüri Muttika

Kommentaarid

Populaarsed postitused